The main improvement of CocoonJS 2 was providing cordova compatibility to Ludei’s cloud compiler. With the cordova compiler, we also released the webview+, a chromium-based webview for android 4 and higher. You can use it directly from our cloud compiler.
The webview+ provides a chromium-based environment for your HTML5 hybrid apps. It will deliver same look’n feel across every android device on the market. As we promised, Android fragmentation is over!
The great news is that we want to share this development with the HTML5 and cordova community, so we are doing a public release of the main tools of our cloud compiler: the webview+ plugin for cordova and CocoonJS Command Line Interface.
The webview+ plugin for cordova enables your cordova-based apps to include a webview+ to run as the execution environment for your app. This plugin can be included in your current cordova android projects. What does this plugin provide?
- Implements the cordova plugin API, so it interacts seamlessly with any cordova app
- Webview+ provides remote debug for any cordova project. JS instrumentalization and live code changes, dynamic breakpoints, and all the power of the chrome developer tools
- WebGL support for any android device running android 4 and higher.
Other contribution we want to share with the community is the CocoonJS Command Line Interface. Standing on the shoulder of giants (cordova-cli), we’ve developed a Command Line Tool that eases the process of dealing with webview+ in Cordova projects. But, why another fork from cordova? Why another open source command line interface?
- Currently, installing webview+ manually is a bit tricky and the cocoonjs-cli eases the process, apart from reporting more meaningful error logs
- Cocoonjs-cli is cordova compliant, so the only difference you’ll notice is the command name, moving from cordova to cocoonjs
- The cocoonjs-cli also will be one of the remote interfaces for the cloud compiler. The cloud compiler enpoints are currently under development. We want to empower our users with tools that eases the process of managing their cloud projects
- Because we use extensively open source software and it’s time to give this love back to the community
We encourage every HTML5 developer to download it, install, use, test and find bugs. We really would like to create a big community around these new projects.
Hail to open source!